Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Batman Spotted in China - What else are we going to see?


Recently I met a friendly Chinese guy in a bar whose English wasn't very good but could at least keep a conversation going, when I asked for his name he replied with his Chinese name which of course was super complicated for me to pronounce.

I faced this situation many times before in China and I think it's really embarrassing for them and for you because they have to repeat their names many times and you still know that even if they repeat it a 100 times you'll either still not be able to pronounce it right or you'll forget it after a couple of minutes.
China name batman

So to save up all the time and all the awkwardness involved I tend to ask if they have an English name since I know that most of the Chinese students do.
Going back to the story of the guy in the first paragraph, I asked him if he has an English name, the reply that I got made me laugh out loud even though the guy was all serious and wasn't showing any signs of being sarcastic, he said his English name was "Batman"!

I tried to inquire why he chose this name and his answer was very simple: "because I like batman"

Somehow It wasn't really surprising for me because when I used to teach here in China I used to find all sorts of weird names that were so funny or didn't even exist.

Here's a list of some of the weird names I found here:
Memol
Dick (his reason was that he was big :s)
seeway
Shining
Rulya
Yean
Error404 (probably she was never found :p)
Queenie
venes
Gemini
badluck
sowing
Hairy
Phantom
Angle
Cat
Newlife
Bean

And the list goes on and on, however what's more annoying is that they usually choose the same name. I've on my phone book 10 Amys, 6 Ambers, 3 Bills, 5 Candys, 7 Sherrys, 3 Karas and 4 Evas.

But anyway I learned that being in China is awesome, even the names can bring a smile on your face during your hardest times here.

No comments :

Post a Comment