Monday, July 14, 2014

How Unlocking Your Phone Increases Its Resale Price

Browsing through Swappa listings looking for cell phones I noticed that network unlocked phones have a higher value than locked ones.
In the following chart I plotted some of the most famous phones from different brands with their minimum prices locked vs. unlocked on swappa to visualize what I noticed.

Unlocked vs locked, phones, selling, price, sim unlock, network

This chart will show you how unlocked phones are always more expensive than locked ones, sometimes it's even a big difference. For example the LG Flex unlocked is sold at $435 while the locked one goes for $310.

I was surprised because I showed in a previous post how easy and cheap it is to unlock your phone even if you didn't stay with your carrier long enough for them to unlock it for you.

After I noticed that I decided to try and make use of my observation so after I unlocked my Alcatel one touch Fierce that I bought from Metropcs for only $30 I put it online on Swappa to sell it.
I was taken back when someone bought it for $85.

Conclusion: UNLOCK YOUR PHONE BEFORE SELLING IT TO GET MORE MONEY OUT OF IT 

No comments :

Post a Comment